Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's all about attitude...

Attitude. I have one. I have many actually.
I have the loving ones I show my husband, Mr Clarke, and my family (thhough at times they can be strained) I have the energetic sassy attitudes I have with my friends, the playful flirty attitudes I have with guys that don't stand a chance, and I have the serious quiet attitude I tend to have at work when I want to avoid talking to my coworkers.

And, as Mr Clarke mentioned yesterday, I have a terrible attitude towards customer service people.
It's aggressive. It's humiliating. It's very harsh and really, unlike me. But I automatically adopt that attitude the minute I pick up the phone or go to a counter at a store.
Maybe it's my time in customer service. Almost 15 years of hospitality can do that to a person. And I would like to point out that I only actually savage those who fuck something up. I mean, if I have to call my internet provider, obviously there's an issue, and they aren't doing their job. The fact that I have to call, chase, follow up on their behalf, just so I can get the service that I'm paying for, really screws my pooch.

The same for face to face contact. The other day I ordered something, I was sure the girl understood my order, but when it came out it was wrong. Her excuse was that they'd run out of what I ordered and that this dish was similar, I demand my money back and suddenly I'm the 'problem customer'. I just like to go smooth. how come it never goes smooth?

Mr Clarke actually berated me and took the phone away the other day when I was talking to the furniture company that is supposed to be delivering the furniture we have already paid for. The clerk made the huge mistake of saying "Yes, everything you ordered came in on the truck today." But then when I started talking about getting it delivered he back pedalled and had to say that even though everything I ordered had come in, it wasn't all coming to me.
Now, I know how it works. You get a certain amount of stock in and who ever has been waiting the longest gets the stock. I know that. But the fact that the poorly trained idiot on the phone was stupid enough to say 'oh, it's all here' made me so angry. I almost didn't care about the furniture, I jsut couldn't believe I was getting such poor service.

What's even weirder id that even though I know my definition of good service means being lied to, that's what I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment